Nepal has lifted its controversial ban on social media platforms after massive youth-led protests shook the country. The demonstrations, mainly driven by Generation Z, turned violent on Monday in Kathmandu, leaving at least 19 people dead.
Government Reverses Social Media Ban
On Tuesday, Communications Minister Prithvi Subba Gurung announced that the cabinet decided to remove the restrictions on nearly two dozen platforms, including Facebook, WhatsApp, and YouTube.
The decision came after days of escalating anger across Nepal. The ban, introduced last week, was originally justified by the government as an attempt to curb fake news, hate speech, and unregistered platforms.
However, critics and rights groups described it as an attempt at censorship and suppression of free speech.
Deadly Protests in Kathmandu
The protests reached their peak on Monday, with thousands of young people taking to the streets of the capital. Security forces responded with tear gas, water cannons, and even live ammunition.
- 17 protesters were killed in Kathmandu.
- 2 more deaths were reported in the eastern city of Itahari.
Hospital officials confirmed the casualties, making it one of the deadliest uprisings Nepal has seen in decades.
Generation Z Leads the Movement
The protests were largely led by Nepal’s Generation Z—people between the ages of 13 and 28. Their demands went beyond the social media ban.
For many young Nepalis, the demonstrations symbolized frustration with:
- Rampant government corruption
- Lack of economic opportunities
- Mass migration of youth seeking jobs abroad
“All Nepali citizens are fed up with corruption. Every youth is leaving the country. We want to protect our future and rebuild our economy,” one protester told Reuters.
International Reaction
The United Nations Human Rights Office expressed shock at the killings and urged Nepal to launch a transparent investigation. It also raised concerns about reports of excessive and unnecessary force.
Amnesty International condemned the use of lethal force, saying it violated international law since protesters did not pose an imminent threat.
Videos circulating online showed intense clashes outside Nepal’s parliament, with riot police using extreme measures to break up crowds.
Prime Minister Responds
Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli said he was saddened by the deaths and acknowledged the concerns of Nepal’s youth. However, he blamed “infiltration by vested interest groups” for turning peaceful demonstrations into violent clashes, though he provided no evidence.
Oli’s government has long faced criticism for failing to curb corruption. Many protesters believe the social media ban was only the latest attempt to silence dissent.
What Happens Next?
While the government has lifted the social media ban, public anger remains high. Protesters see this as only one step in addressing deeper issues like corruption and economic inequality.
The coming weeks will determine whether Nepal can avoid further unrest—or if these protests mark the beginning of a larger movement led by its youth.
Key Takeaways
Nepal lifted its social media ban after youth-led protests turned deadly.
At least 19 people were killed in clashes with security forces.
Generation Z protesters expressed anger over corruption and lack of opportunities.
UN and Amnesty International condemned the use of excessive force.
Prime Minister Oli said he is open to dialogue but blamed outside influences.
#NepalProtests#SocialMediaBan #GenerationZ #Kathmandu #EndCorruption