Netanyahu Defends Gaza City Takeover as UN Warns of Disaster

UN warns Israel’s Gaza takeover plan risks ‘another calamity’ after Netanyahu defends move

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is standing firm on his plan to take over Gaza City, despite a wave of international backlash and stark warnings from the United Nations. UN officials say the move could trigger “another calamity” in Gaza, where hunger and suffering are already at crisis levels.

Speaking at a rare press conference with global media, Netanyahu called the operation “the fastest way to end the war,” insisting it would speed up peace rather than prolong the conflict.

Early Friday, Israel’s security cabinet approved the plan, framing it as part of efforts to destroy Hamas and rescue hostages. But critics warn that further fighting could put captives at greater risk and deepen Gaza’s humanitarian nightmare.

The UN reported rising hunger-related deaths, especially among children. Since October 2023, 98 children have died from severe malnutrition — 37 of them in just the last month. “This is starvation, pure and simple,” said UN humanitarian chief Ramesh Rajasingham, calling conditions “beyond horrific.”

Countries including the UK, Russia, China, France, Denmark, and South Korea condemned Israel’s plan, calling it a violation of international law that would cause more displacement and destruction. Algeria warned it could “annihilate what remains of Gaza.”

The US, however, continues to back Israel, with Ambassador Dorothy Shea accusing other nations of spreading “lies” that prolong the war. She said the fighting could stop immediately if Hamas released all hostages.

Protests have erupted worldwide, with tens of thousands marching across Sydney Harbour Bridge and hundreds arrested in London. Inside Israel, hostage families are calling for a nationwide strike.

Netanyahu insists Gaza City and the central refugee camps are Hamas’s last strongholds. Hamas, in turn, says hostages’ lives depend on halting the military campaign and negotiating peace, accusing Netanyahu of using them as a pretext for continued attacks.

Despite widespread reports, Netanyahu denies there is any starvation crisis in Gaza.

#GazaCrisis #Netanyahu #IsraelHamasWar #UNWarning #HumanitarianCrisis