In a major development, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Monday that former President Donald Trump can continue his efforts to shrink — and possibly shut down — the Department of Education, at least for now.
This decision pauses a lower court order from May that had blocked the Trump administration from laying off thousands of employees and scaling back key operations. The ruling doesn’t settle the case entirely — legal battles are still ongoing — but it gives Trump a green light to move forward while the case plays out in court.
What Happened?
Back in May, a federal judge in Massachusetts issued a temporary order telling Trump’s team to stop slashing the department’s staff and functions. Nearly 1,400 Education Department workers had already been laid off, and the judge ordered them to be rehired to restore the agency.
But on Monday, the Supreme Court said that order is now on hold. This means the administration can continue its plans, including transferring federal student loans and special education programs to other government agencies.
Why This Matters
The move has sparked strong reactions from both sides. Critics — including 20 states, Washington D.C., school districts, and teacher unions — say the cuts could permanently damage the department, especially programs that help low-income and rural students. They argue that even if they win the case later, it may be too late to undo the damage.
Justice Sonia Sotomayor disagreed strongly with the Court’s decision. In her dissent, she called it “indefensible” and warned it could give the president too much power, allowing them to shut down government agencies just by firing staff.
The Trump administration insists this isn’t about eliminating the department but “streamlining” it. Solicitor General D. John Sauer said only Congress can officially close the Education Department, and that the president has the authority to decide how many employees are needed.
What’s Next?
The legal fight is far from over. The case is still making its way through the lower courts, but Monday’s ruling could be a turning point. Without court intervention, many worry the Education Department could become so hollowed out that its essential functions — like managing student loans and supporting special education — will be lost for good.
Education Secretary Linda McMahon praised the decision, saying it’s a win for families and students who support Trump’s education reforms.
#SupremeCourt #EducationPolicy #TrumpAdministration #DepartmentOfEducation #PublicEducation