Thailand Launches Airstrikes on Cambodia as Border Tensions Threaten Trump-Brokered Peace Deal

Thailand launches airstrikes along border with Cambodia as tensions reignite | wkyc.com

Thailand Launches Airstrikes on Cambodia as Peace Agreement Falters

A fresh surge of violence has erupted along the Thailand–Cambodia border, putting a major peace agreement—brokered just two months ago by former U.S. President Donald Trump—at serious risk.

On Monday, Thailand carried out airstrikes against Cambodia after both nations accused each other of starting new attacks along their long-disputed border region. Tension had been building for weeks, especially after Thailand paused progress on the ceasefire agreement.

What Sparked the Airstrikes?

The Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) said its strikes hit only military targets, including weapon storage sites, command centers, and supply routes that were considered “direct threats” to Thailand.

According to the RTAF, Cambodia had been moving heavy weapons, repositioning troops, and preparing artillery support—steps Thailand viewed as escalating and dangerous.

A Thai military official said the strikes were in direct response to an earlier attack that killed a Thai soldier and injured two others. “The target was Cambodia’s arms support positions,” Thai Maj. Gen. Winthai Suvaree explained, noting that artillery and mortars had been launched into Thai territory.

Cambodia Denies Aggression

Cambodia strongly denied Thailand’s claims. The Ministry of National Defense called the Thai accusations “false information” and said Cambodia had not retaliated, emphasizing its commitment to peaceful conflict resolution.

However, the Cambodian army issued a separate statement accusing Thailand of launching an attack around 5 a.m. Monday, adding that Thai forces had engaged in “provocative actions for many days.”

Civilians Forced to Flee

The renewed fighting has forced widespread evacuations. About 70% of Thai civilians living in border towns have already been moved to safer areas, according to Thai officials. One civilian death was reported during the evacuation due to a pre-existing medical condition.

Peace Deal at Risk

The situation is a major setback for the Thailand–Cambodia peace deal that was celebrated as a diplomatic win for Trump. The two countries had signed a reinforced ceasefire in Kuala Lumpur in late October, witnessed by Trump and Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim.

But tensions quickly resurfaced. Less than two weeks after the signing, Thailand halted progress following a landmine blast that injured several of its soldiers.

A History of Border Clashes

The two nations have had several brief but intense border conflicts in recent decades. In July, they fought a five-day battle that killed dozens and displaced around 200,000 people from both sides.

Now, with each side blaming the other for the latest violence, the fragile peace agreement appears closer than ever to collapsing.

#Thailand #Cambodia #BorderConflict #BreakingNews #InternationalRelations