In a surprising turn of events, former President Donald Trump announced that Iran and Israel have agreed to a ceasefire—just hours after Iran launched missile strikes on a U.S. military base in Qatar.
What Happened?
Early Monday, Iran fired a barrage of short- and medium-range ballistic missiles at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar and another U.S. base in Iraq. The strike was reportedly in response to the U.S. bombing of Iranian nuclear sites over the weekend. Fortunately, there were no U.S. casualties, thanks to Qatar’s air defense system successfully intercepting the missiles and advance warning from Iran.
Trump’s Ceasefire Announcement
Later that day, Trump posted on social media that Iran and Israel had agreed to a “Complete and Total CEASEFIRE.” According to him, the truce would be implemented in phases starting six hours after the announcement, leading to a full end to the 12-day conflict.
“Iran will begin the ceasefire, Israel will follow, and within 24 hours, the war will be officially over,” Trump wrote.
However, neither Iran nor Israel has officially confirmed the agreement so far.
What U.S. Officials Are Saying
Vice President JD Vance, speaking to Fox News, said President Trump is aiming for a long-term peace deal.
“The Iranians have realized they’re not built for prolonged war,” Vance claimed. “This is a chance to reset and push for lasting peace.”
He dodged questions about Iran’s current uranium stockpile, focusing instead on stopping Iran from weaponizing it.
Iran’s Missile Strike Explained
Iran’s state-run media confirmed the missile strikes, and videos from Doha showed the night sky lit up by missile interceptors. The attack targeted Al Udeid Air Base, the main hub for U.S. operations in the region.
A U.S. defense official confirmed the strike, saying no injuries were reported, and that the military is closely monitoring the situation.
Qatar and Global Reaction
Qatar condemned the Iranian attack as a “blatant violation of sovereignty.” Their Foreign Ministry said the strike went against international law and the U.N. Charter, adding that the air base had already been evacuated as a precaution.
The U.N. Secretary-General also expressed deep concern and called for an immediate end to all military actions in the region.
“This kind of escalation must stop,” his spokesperson said.
Looking Ahead
Though Trump’s post paints a hopeful picture of peace, the world is still waiting for official confirmation from Iran and Israel. With tensions high and trust low, all eyes are now on the region to see if this ceasefire truly holds—or if the fragile peace will be short-lived.
#MiddleEastUpdate #IranIsraelCeasefire #TrumpAnnouncement #QatarAirStrike #GlobalPeaceAlert