US Ends Gaza Ceasefire Talks, Blames Hamas for Lack of Cooperation

Not acting in good faith’: US quits Gaza ceasefire talks blaming Hamas’ lack of desire; Netanyahu says Israel still seeks deal for hostage release – Times of India

In a major setback to efforts for peace in Gaza, the United States has abruptly ended ceasefire talks and recalled its negotiation team from Qatar. According to White House special envoy Steve Witkoff, Hamas has shown a “lack of desire” to reach a truce, accusing the group of not acting in good faith.

“Despite the hard work of mediators, Hamas isn’t showing a real commitment to peace,” Witkoff said on Thursday. “We’re now considering other ways to bring the hostages home and create a safer environment in Gaza.”

The State Department didn’t elaborate on what those “alternative options” might be. Meanwhile, Hamas expressed surprise at Witkoff’s comments, saying it had been flexible and responsible during talks and was eager to reach an agreement to end the war and suffering in Gaza.

Talks Drag On Without Progress

The negotiations have been going on for weeks in Qatar, but no major progress has been made. One key issue has been whether Israeli troops would withdraw from Gaza as part of any ceasefire deal.

Witkoff emphasized the U.S. remains committed to ending the conflict, but criticized Hamas for acting selfishly. Meanwhile, the humanitarian crisis in Gaza worsens, with food and aid in short supply.

Earlier on Thursday, Israel also recalled its negotiators, echoing concerns about Hamas’ response. The proposed deal involved a 60-day ceasefire where Hamas would release hostages in stages, in return for Israel freeing Palestinian prisoners and increasing aid to Gaza.

However, the core disagreements remain. Hamas wants Israel to fully withdraw and end the war before releasing all hostages. Israel insists Hamas must first disarm and give up control of Gaza. Hamas, however, says it’s willing to leave power—but won’t surrender its weapons.

Pressure Mounts on All Sides

President Trump, who’s been pushing for a Nobel Peace Prize, has made brokering a Gaza ceasefire one of his key foreign policy goals. He even met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier this month in Washington, but no deal came from it.

Meanwhile, global leaders are ramping up pressure. British Prime Minister Keir Starmer plans emergency talks with German and French officials to get urgent food aid into Gaza. French President Emmanuel Macron said France will recognize Palestine as a state, urging an immediate halt to the war. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney condemned Israel’s handling of the crisis and called for a two-state solution.

Gaza on the Brink

Conditions in Gaza continue to deteriorate. The U.N. says around 100,000 women and children are suffering from severe malnutrition. Many aid groups report that it’s almost impossible to safely deliver food due to Israeli restrictions and general chaos.

Israel claims it’s allowing enough aid in and blames U.N. agencies for poor distribution. But those agencies say the system is broken, with food trucks being mobbed before supplies can be properly delivered.

Despite the ongoing crisis, both the U.S. and Israel continue to place responsibility on Hamas for the war’s prolongation.

#GazaCrisis #CeasefireNow  #MiddleEastPeace #HamasIsraelConflict #HumanRights