Video Shows Israeli Forces Fatally Shooting Two Palestinian Men After Apparent Surrender in Jenin

Video shows Israeli forces shooting Palestinians dead moments after surrender | Israel | The Guardian

A disturbing video from the West Bank has sparked global outrage after showing Israeli forces shooting two Palestinian men just moments after they appeared to surrender.

The incident took place on Thursday evening during an Israeli military raid in Jenin. Journalists nearby also witnessed the shooting, raising immediate questions about the use of force.

Israel’s justice ministry is now reviewing the case, but the country’s far-right national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, has already defended the actions, saying the men were “terrorists” and that “terrorists must die.”

What the Video Shows

The widely shared footage captures Israeli soldiers surrounding what appears to be a storage building. A mechanical digger breaks open the large door, and two men crawl out slowly with their hands raised and shirts lifted to show they are unarmed.

Border police officers then approach them. One officer, identifiable by his bald head and beard, kicks the men while they are on the ground and orders them back under the damaged door.

Moments later, as the two men crawl back toward the building, several officers raise their weapons and shoot them. The men collapse instantly.

Who the Victims Were

Palestinian Islamic Jihad identified the two men as:

  • Youssef Asasa, 37 — a field commander
  • Mahmoud Abdallah, 26 — a fighter

Both were part of the group’s Jenin brigade.

Reactions From Human Rights Groups

The United Nations human rights office condemned the shooting, calling it a “brazen killing” and an “apparent summary execution.”

Yuli Novak, head of the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem, said the incident reflects a dangerous trend of “dehumanisation of Palestinians” and criticised the lack of accountability within Israel’s security system.

B’Tselem stopped cooperating with the Israeli military’s internal review process back in 2016, accusing it of being a “whitewash.”

IDF Response

The Israel Defense Forces confirmed that the men were shot during a joint operation with the border police. The IDF claimed the suspects were linked to “terror networks” and had been involved in attacks, including throwing explosives and firing at Israeli forces.

The military said the surrender process lasted several hours and that engineering tools were used to breach the building. It added that the case is currently under review.

Ben-Gvir’s Statement

Minister Ben-Gvir issued strong support for the officers, saying they acted exactly as expected. His comments sparked further criticism, especially given his previous conviction in 2007 for incitement to racism and support for a terrorist organization.

Why This Incident Stands Out

While allegations of excessive force by Israeli soldiers are not uncommon, this case is unusually stark because the entire sequence—from surrender to execution—was captured clearly on video. It has reignited long-standing concerns about accountability, rules of engagement, and the protection of detainees under international law.

#Jenin #WestBank #HumanRights #IsraelPalestine #BreakingNews